Blogs that suck time

my pooTUBE
my pUtube
my poopics

SWOBO
avoid the bummerlife

need to reach me? pedalhome at hotmail

Monday, May 01, 2006

lover's rock

The thin, but distinguishable, line between dirt and road sufferings ~

I have to say, I enjoyed turning off the tactical cpu this weekend and just going out and throttling it. On the road, as we all know, the races are psychological carpet bombings as much as leg ripping grunt assaults. But on the dirt, there is only one tactic ~ go 'till you blow. It's fun ... every once in awhile.

The road has these supreme moments of suffering that decide the race. And, if you don't make that selection, your race is ... over. But on the dirt, we all enter the same mud pit of pain and wade through as best we can. And, you are never really out of the race. You can't be, if you don't keep swimming ... you'll sink, to lie with the fossils forever.

'Sides ... you never know if that person in front of you might flat, or crash, or snap a chain, or taco a wheel, or bust a saddle, or ... gawd knows what else.

- - -

I was sooo damn happy to see Sabine come through on that 2nd lap. She was out of water for most of it ... poor lil' Bella. But, she road strong and came through with an excellent ride and I was ... giddy with glee.

- - -

JoJo was 5th in the prosey femmes after punchin' around with 4th for most the 2nd lap. She got a nice little envelope full of ... ooops, they forgot to put the cash in. Don't worry, she didn't let them escape the payout.

- - -

Wickets and TreeBoner had some mini-epic little sprint at the line and I think Barry's hair crossed the line first. I don't remember what their finishing time was ... but it must have been over 10 minutes faster than mine. Now, I know I set my throttle on cruise control after the first climb ... but sheeeite, those boys can pedal.

- - -

Ana was 7th in the semi-proseys. He was happy with his ride ... but he never shows it because he has to be all toughey-cool.

- - -

Hibbard of the Hills smoked all the experts on a fully-rigid beast of a bike. That dude is crazy. I mean, snot-blubbering insano. I think his ability to feel pain vanished as his body fat dived under the 2% level.

... jaysus, what a monster.

- - -

Jon & Sami road a bit rock-starish. I didn't get a count of Sami's placing in the prosey femmes, but I'm pretty sure Jon was 6th in the ex30-34. That's cool, especially since he did it on some wacked-out downhill fork that was an emergency fix.

- - -

And for me, i was lucky enough to get a nice little hole-shot in the geezer men's race and then put in a dig on the first climb to get a wee bit o' distance on the field. Then I was able to throw it into autopilot and concentrate on having fun and not crashing. One out of two ain't bad.

- - -

yay. gotta work = boo!

16 comments:

Velo Bella said...

did you crash?

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

yeah, she qualified.

and no, i didn't crash. Well, not really. does smashing off course through waist high grasses and trees count as crashing?

X Bunny said...

no, that's just alternate trail exploration

Velo Bella said...

okay...I was just worried about the Steelman you know.

Ron Castia said...

Nice! I think it's time to clean off the double boinger.

Yeah, Hibbard is a beast of a rider.
Did you notice the dude only has 1 chainring on the front. I guess he won't have to worry about chain suckage.

ATE. Who needs trails? Just let go of the brakes, pucker the rear and let the bike do it's thing. As BC from Morgan once told me, "just blast thru it".

diskzero said...

Sounds like fun! Makes me want to dust off the 1994 Kona, slap a new shock on it and try a race or too. In Sport class of course!

Thanks for the Madera tips. I used them all. I was up in the GC after a good crit and TT. A couple of us did a lap alone in the RR to no avail. During the final sprint I got blocked out by a fellow competitor who had a boiler failure and dropped anchor on the hill. It seems I need to work more on race smarts during the sprint.

Anonymous said...

Nice

I just pulled the MTB down and dusted it off, time to change things up a little bit and get the fun back.

ms

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

VB = your Steelmen is ... er, fine. just don't look in the back of Sputnik for a couple of days.

jed said = shit, the only time i get to chat with you is through these blogs.

diskO = nice ridin'. that sprint is sooo hard. uphill, after the brute rollers, after the mo' brute pave' ... you can't be too disappointed. maybe we'll actually get a race report out of you.

gnome = naah, off trail is baddy bad. me = enviro wank.

bunnyX = i can't believe you flatted in the Madera TT. that blows, girlie. And you caught your 30 seconder? daargh! frustration.

still, that's all good. let us know how the movins are goin'.

mcSassy = i'm thinkin' mtb weekend in the late fall. no racin', just goofin with all the blogites. will keep posted.

sorry to hear about Boschy gettin' it in the rear. i'll want details on that eventually. silly geezers.

~m

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

webesilly.com

(gawd, i hope no one actually tries to go there...)

i think bosch tried to give it to himself in the rear (see Skibby's blog). sounds like it all worked out in the end, though (pun intended)

Ov, it sounds like an ultra-successful weekend for you guys. Sweet.

now get back on your road bike!

X Bunny said...

saturday was one seriously frustrating day

sunday was better

i'll get around to an email soon and fill you kids in on all the details

Anonymous said...

PAB called it with that last comment, but I didn't say that.

ms

diskzero said...

diskO = nice ridin'. that sprint is sooo hard. uphill, after the brute rollers, after the mo' brute pave' ... you can't be too disappointed. maybe we'll actually get a race report out of you.

Well, you convinced me. I am not a very good writer and it will show in the race report. It is up on my sorry blog site now. Maybe the more you write the better you get, just like cycling.

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»