Blogs that suck time

my pooTUBE
my pUtube
my poopics

SWOBO
avoid the bummerlife

need to reach me? pedalhome at hotmail

Friday, April 27, 2007

take the batteries out of that meme doll

Well, it's late spring here on the left coast which means the party moves eastward. Bisbee, Gila, the southeast crits ... the tourists have taken their spandex and digi-cams on to the greener and richer pro-pastures. And we behind ~ begin our season in earnest.

For the next few months it'll be locals only racing in the NorCal, baby. Bragging rights up Mt. Ham, the big swingers at Cat's Hill, The Nez and Nevada City epics of pain ... it's all out there, ready to be grabbed.

this is when phase II of the season starts for me.
- - -

Secret Training

April is always my biggest break of the year from the logbook. Even when transitioning from roadie scum to dirty crosser ... i don't really step entirely off the workout bus. I just ... slowly modify - letting inertia do its thang.

But, come late spring ~ i've usually got a good 25-30 road events in my legs and have gone through a decent peak. A little break is needed to recharge, revamp, and let loose. This year i kept on the gas just a wee bit longer than usual so that i could stick out Copperdropyerass for my team. We wanted to repeat on that loop and i wanted to help out. Last year i was straight up poopered going into that race and felt like i didn't do much but get in the way of Taz's crushing victory.

But this year went well for us at Copper, so i rewarded myself with a bit o' restful relaxation. The day after Copper ~ i went on an 11t of a bender and didn't really look up from the rim until a couple days after SeaSlaughter. That's 10-11 days of kneeling in honor to Bacchus, mes amis. And it felt so good being so bad. But now, the build has begun again towards the next phase of the season - the return to structure and intervals and laying solid-brick foundations.

For me, the formulas run simpleton. I build strength, engine capacity, then sharpen as needed. All the while focusing on stretching, technique, and the fun of it all. i don't stress about missing or modifying workouts based on life's pesky circumstances. i don't fear not being ready for a race because all i have to do is show up and participate to get the real rewards of the day - enjoyment.

and, since i'm on a geezer squad ~ i don't have to worry about making time to get in those long 5 hour jaunts ... the real schedule killers. Nope - as a masters racer we have 3 hour races and i'm gawdamn thankful for it. i get asked on the occassion ~ why are you riding masters races?

well, there are two reasons. The first (and most important), is because i am on a masters team. i race for my team - always. The second is that i can still have a bit of free-time with not worrying about building up that 10-gallon hat of endurance to road race with the proseys.

Now, it is worth remembering that i do race every prosey crit i can get my handles on ... but, that's not the same thing, is it? Ah well ... you can't satisfy all desires. But, next year - we'll see if the BagBoys still field a team and if we remain a masters squad. If this is the last year of the Safeway train ... so be it. it's been one hell of a sweet ride. me and da'PAB have had it good.

If it has to be, maybe i'll consider going through the effort ofn trying to find a group of solids to ride with in the straight-up proseys. what a pain in the ass, though. But, if Pasco keeps his outfit together and wants me around, i'll ride for him. always.

'cuz team is what makes this shit savored.
~

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are great teammates and I had no idea you had your own school: http://phcc.edu/athletics/crosscountry/

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

oh shit ... i just f'ing spit water all over my screen.


that is gawdamn hilarious.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

had to add it

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

Another reason never to step foot in the state of Florida.

Who would name a school that?

Those poor kids...if they only knew who their patron saints really were....

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

hey ... how come he gets first billing?

Anonymous said...

Funny, I thought you guys would have already heard of PHCC. I was just doing a little google research on my competition and it was one of the first things that came up.

Maybe I spend too much time on the internet.

Velo Bella said...

I thought you photoshopped that! And I thought "HOw Silly!"

Even sillier that its real.

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

"Maybe I spend too much time on the internet."


... gasp ~ blasphemer!!!

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

conquistadors ...

yeah baby.

Anonymous said...

It seems like a good masters team should be as regional as possible so members can both train and race together. Cohesivness is lost when riders live far from each other.

I love the contrast to the Q's pic: nice flower spread in the foreground and a nasty eyesore of a dump in the background.

X Bunny said...

i can only imagine what's going to happen when P sees his name across all those young women's chests

EB said...

Mmm, I could go for a bender right about now...

Little_Jewford said...

hmmm....I would think team that had Hernando as a partial namesake would have hotter shorts then that...

Dr. Xeno said...

I too thought it was a clever effort but misplaced Photoshop time... too funny.